Monday, December 15, 2014

tear-stained memories

I remember the address of my last house
the phone number
the neighbors
the way I loved the smell of the new carpet in the basement
the day my dad moved out
crying when my mom took the paintings off the walls
not getting to say goodbye to a ten year chapter of my life

I remember breaking into tears as I walked to his car
how I was all ready to go
how I told him I just couldn't do it
not being ready to face it

I remember how embarrassed I was of that car
looking away as I passed people I knew while driving it
the way the driver side window wouldn't roll back up
the musty smell of the twenty two year old carpet
the chipped paint
the rust
the dents
how I called it Phyllis
crying when I had to say goodbye to it

I remember October 8th
hugging you tighter than I ever have
wishing we had more time
resenting Salt Lake City airport for every goodbye


I remember to count the tears
because I'll give them to someone one day
in the form of my heart

2 comments:

  1. I remember to count the tears
    because I'll give them to someone one day
    in the form of my heart

    I post so many comments I feel like all of them are starting to sound repetitive but I genuinely loved this

    ReplyDelete
  2. So descriptive, I felt like I was really there. I could actually feel the emotion in the words, and I love when a writer can make me feel that. Well done to you my friend:) well done.

    ReplyDelete