Monday, May 25, 2015

I hate Ross Geller but this isn't about him, it's about what's next

I was watching Friends but I had to turn it off because I didn't want to miss anything
I didn't want to miss anything
But I missed a lot of school

I missed soccer games and baseball games because of practice
I promised my friends I would go to the next one
But I missed that too

I missed mission call openings and the Senior Dinner Dance
But I didn't miss my brother's wedding
I didn't miss the chance to kiss the boy who made me realize that kissing while slow dancing in the rain was way better than kissing in the backseat of a douchey and conceited Junior's car
I didn't miss speaking at seminary graduation
And I didn't miss the chance to hug my dad tonight

High school taught me that friends are great but they leave much too soon
And you can yell at your family, but they'll still be there in the morning
It taught me that being valedictorian was never what I wanted and I'm much more of an athlete than a nerd and that's okay too
It taught me how to keep secrets from everyone but my mom
That rap music and country and church music all make me happy in different ways
It taught me that I deserve much better than a boy who expects me to keep our kisses a secret 
And that love is a four letter word I can't pronounce

I learned that I may not know how to pronounce it but love is something I do too deeply
I learned that I care more about kids and animals than I care to admit
That cutting in line in traffic is something that makes me feel really bad because Abby told me how much it bugs her
I learned that I care a whole lot more about other people's feelings than my own

I look in the mirror and I see someone so much stronger than I did at the beginning of sophomore year
I don't shy away from raising my hand to ask questions I want to know the answer to
I have a lot to say and I'm not afraid to say it anymore
I'm not afraid of confrontation and talking on the phone is no longer my biggest fear
I'm not afraid of commitment and I know I'm not a quitter

I found myself

After living in fear of judgment for so long I finally learned that I'm my own biggest judge

my name is Emma Victoria Fruehan and it took me all this time to realize that I'm not afraid of anything but the unknown
and even that is a stretch

because the unknown is beautiful and it's the thing we step into on Thursday at 12;30 pm
and I'll probably cry but not because I'll miss high school or all the kids I never really talked to

I'll cry because I've mastered it
I learned how to miss the maximum amount of school without ever worrying about attendance school
I know every hallway and which streets to avoid in the morning if I'm running late
I know the teachers and how to get an A without any effort at all
This place has been my home for three years and this week we get evicted

I guess it's time to greet the unknown with strong open arms
I'm hoping for a warm embrace

5 comments:

  1. I HATE ROSS TOO!!!!

    But I loved this post. And your writing. Thank you for letting us read your stuff all year. It's been a real pleasure.

    You are one talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma you are so incredible. I loved getting to know you this year. Your writing is stunning and your athleticism is amazing and you are just all around awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't miss the chance to kiss the boy who made me realize that kissing while slow dancing in the rain was way better than kissing in the backseat of a douchey and conceited Junior's car----YESSSSSSSS THANK YOUUUU

    That cutting in line in traffic is something that makes me feel really bad because Abby told me how much it bugs her.-I'M SORRY

    Emma you are such a great writer and sorry for ruining cutting in lines for you. You really are a gem and offered tons of love this year when I needed it most. Thanks for this year Em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. this post is amazing Emma. Truly. Im with Sam, thanks for your writing, it's been unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey so AFHS Poetry club and LP creative writing are doing a Summer Slam open mic on August 12th, at 9pm at 746 N 730 E American Fork and we would absolutely love it if you came! You can share a poem or just listen or whatever. It's going to be super cool and a lot of great poets are coming. Savanna Jones will probably get on here soon and attest that it's gonna be cool and that I'm not a crazy person since you don't know me. You are completely welcome to bring anyone with you, especially other writers! That's all, hope you can come!

    ReplyDelete