Sunday, May 10, 2015

For Isaac

I made you a mixtape and then I got assigned your blog and I think it's fate because I used to have a crush on you
All the girls in the neighborhood did actually and I don't know if you knew or not but your name got brought up quite a bit at summer sleepovers when we were naming who we liked in the ward.
(Please disregard this because we were like 12 and I shouldn't be held accountable for anything I did at that age)

Anyway... I feel like anything I write to you or for you would be inadequate
Your words surpass mine by a longshot and maybe it's because I don't have such a broad vocabulary as you do

Each post makes me wonder about the person behind the pronoun
Because you have to be writing about someone

For the longest time, your writing intimidated me
And it must be because I get lost in the metaphors and the uncommon words tested my intelligence, but your words are beautiful and deserve much more praise

The post I gravitated most towards was entitled Raw and the emotion I could feel as I read it could only be described as just that- raw.


A few favorite lines:

"I guess my clothes are more sorry than I am
After all they speak louder than I do"

"Our hands forming their own opinions"

"Love and leave now synonymous"

"Because maybe some of them are still lonely
Because even death isn't the cure-all we hoped it was"

"And I'm beginning to wonder if it's the person or their feelings that are fake"

"I hate you because that's easy"

"I named it nostalgia
And it smells like my dad"

"But to me, cheeks are the most loving
Cause they catch all the tears of sadness"

"Mixed taped and outerwear are no indicator of identity"



Thank you for sharing your words, Isaac. Thank you for allowing us the privilege of reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment