Monday, February 2, 2015

fire insurance not included

I could write a novel about the reason that goodbye was the wrong choice
But I get it

I knew that sparks weren't enough to keep the fire lit
We needed lighter fluid or flint and steel or just a better stack of firewood

BUT I WASN'T PAYING ATTENTION WHEN WE BUILT FIRES AT GIRLS CAMP

I think I was in my cabin screaming because there was a mouse

But shouldn't boys have an innate ability to build fires?
I guess if my plan was to leave it to you then I have no chance at staying warm through the night
Because you weren't prepared, boyscout, and you let me down
But I get it

I knew that learning how to be happy on my own would be good for me and I've proved myself right this time
I'll go back to life without you and I'll forget about the fire you started in my fingertips

It singed my hair and the smell made me sick but I forgot because your eyes were a perfect shade of blue 
The kind of blue that reminds me of Mondays in June
The kind that meant sunburns and open windows in the nighttime and dropped snowcones left to melt

Your smell worked it's way through the fibers of my clothes and it's gonna take more than a rinse cycle to get rid of it
And you smell like campfire and disappointment and every shooting star that just turned out to be a cruel piece of burning rock for little girls to waste their breath on at night

And this time I was a little girl with the naive notion that wishes on stars actually make it past the panes of my window


I just don't remember wishing for blue eyes to break my heart




3 comments:

  1. "And you smell like campfire and disappointment and every shooting star that just turned out to be a cruel piece of burning rock for little girls to waste their breath on at night"

    This happened to me except I wasted it on an airplane that disguised itself as burning rock.

    This post was really really something good. Something fresh.

    Im not just saying that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma,

    Remember when you read that poem about "the fire you started in my fingertips" in front of the class? That was amazing. "It singed my hair and the smell made me sick," but in a good way. Seriously, your poem "worked it's way through the fibers of my clothes" and

    and

    and

    "and it's gonna take more than a rinse cycle to get rid of it"

    But really, though. It was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "campfire and disappointment"
    ugh yes.

    ReplyDelete